D3 in Depth aims to bridge the gap between introductory tutorials/books and the official documentation. It's written by Peter Cook who worked as a freelance data visualisation designer/maker before joining Flourish as a senior visualisation developer.
D3 in Depth was started in 2016 and currently covers versions 6 and 7 of D3. There are some important differences between versions 6, 5, 4 and 3 and I'll mention them as appropriate.
If you're interested in learning how to build a beautiful, custom data visualisation from scratch using D3 I recommend reading D3 Start to Finish. You'll learn about:
- requesting CSV data using D3
- D3 data joins (including joining nested data)
- architecting a data visualisation using a layout function
- detailed styling using CSS
- adding a popup using Flourish's popup library
- state management
- animations using D3 transitions
- data manipulation using Lodash
- adding a menu, legend and footer
and more. Subscribe to the newsletter for discount coupons.
Be sure to visit Create With Data for more articles and tutorials on making data visualisations.
If you've any comments or questions please tweet @d3indepth or email email@example.com.
I hope you find this guide useful!